Moving is an exciting time, especially if you are moving out of a rental property into your own, brand new home.
There are many things to do and remember before you move and on the day of the move, so here is a checklist of things to help you. Once you get organised moving will be much easier.
- Let the real estate agent know in advance that you are moving so you won’t be charged rent when you are not there.
- Contact the utilities companies to come and switch off power, gas or whatever else you use on the day of the move, so you don’t have to pay for more than you have used.
- Start packing things you won’t need well ahead of time.
- Book the removalist truck early on to be sure they are available.
- Take the keys of the house back to the real estate agents on the day you move.
- If moving to another rental, make sure you arrive within business hours to get your new key.
- Arrange to get the utilities switched on when you need them.
- Go through all you own and see if you really want to take it with you.
- Get rid of all those things you don’t want to take. They can go to other family members, friends, the op-shop, the recycling centre or the bin.
- Have a garage sale if there are a lot of things you don’t want, but are still good.
- Start to clean the place well ahead of time. Do one room at a time and clean everything you can see so you will get your bond back.
- Also clean up the outside of the property by washing windows and tracks, weeding the garden and mowing the lawn. If the garden had ornamental pebbles over it, make sure these are all off the path and back in the garden.
- Wash the curtains and/or replace your own with the original curtains. Likewise, if you have changed the light fixtures, replace them with the original ones.
- Clean out the kitchen cupboards and throw away old things you don’t need. It’s amazing how many plastic containers seem to accrue over time.
- Don’t buy too much food; use up what you have in the house first. Food in the freezer may not survive the trip if it is a long one. The less you have to pack the easier it will be to move.
- Tidy up and get rid of rubbish as soon as you know you are moving. Throw out old magazines and papers. Clean out the fridge and get rid of those old jars of jam that are half empty.
- Throw out old clothes you have been keeping in case you wanted to paint something. Throw out old clothes the kids have grown out of.